Skip to main content

Tunisian crochet hooks, pt. 1 / Uncinetti tunisini, parte 1

When it comes to Tunisian crochet, one of the first issues people face is: which hooks should I choose? I decided to write about my own experience in 2 or 3 posts, and hopefully help some of you.

When I first wanted to try Tunisian crochet, I only had a couple of long hooks at home, and they were definitely too thin for a newbie, like 2,5 mm or such. So I headed to a local store and bought me a nice 5 mm one. It was the classic long, straight aluminium hook with a plastic stopper at one end and a pretty rounded tip at the other end, branded Pony. I practiced a bit with it, and I struggled because of the rounded tip. I didn't give up, though: I purchased some bigger sizes by the same brand, which were double-ended and all plasticI couldn't use those to save my life. The yarn didn't glide on them, and using them hurt my wrist terribly. Silly newbie I was, I blamed it all on the technique itself and took a pause from it, even though I did enjoy it. Too painful. Keep in mind that these hooks were the only ones I could find locally: where I live, most shops don't have Tunisian crochet hooks, or only have these ones. I thought that, since I was only trying what to me was a new technique, it wasn't worth buying hooks online. Of course, I was wrong.
Luckily enough, a few months later I got angry at my bad hooks and decided to buy some others online. Since I love bamboo hooks for regular crochet, I purchased a cheap set of bamboo corded hooks. Well, let me tell you: these had much better tips, much more pointed, and even though the hooks' throats are not very deep they were pure delight to use. The yarn glided happily on 'em, and I finally managed to finish my first project, Drachenschwanz by Veronika Hug (classic beginner's project, I still love it). The cord is fixed on these ones with glue, so you can't disassemble 'em easily, but when I was a beginner I loved these hooks so much I honestly didn't care. I still use them from time to time, and even though they're not (of course!) professional tools they work just fine for me.
Moral of the story, if you don't know whether you'll enjoy Tunisian crochet or not and therefore don't feel like investing on an expensive set, I strongly recommend one of these cheap sets you can buy online. On the pros side, you have an awful lot of sizes, they're pretty good, functional hooksthey're corded so you can make bigger projects already, and really, you can't get cheaper than that. On the cons... well, I don't really see cons in these.
In my next post, I'll write about more expensive hooks and my opinions about those, too.

Quando si tratta di uncinetto tunisino, uno dei primi problemi che ci si trova ad affrontare è: quali uncinetti scegliere? Ho deciso di raccontare la mia esperienza in 2 o 3 post, sperando di essere utile a qualcuno dei miei lettori. 

Quando ho deciso di imparare l'uncinetto tunisino avevo in casa solo un paio di uncinetti lunghi, decisamente troppo sottili per un principiante, tipo da 2,5 mm o qualcosa del genere. Così, sono andata in un negozio e mi sono comprata un bell'uncinetto da 5 mm. Era il classico uncinetto lungo, dritto, di alluminio con uno stopper di plastica ad un'estremitĂ  ed una punta piuttosto arrotondata dall'altra, a marchio Pony. Ci ho fatto un po' di pratica, ma non mi ci trovavo a causa della punta troppo tonda. Non ho desistito, però: ne ho comprati di misure piĂą grandi, della stessa marca, a doppia punta e tutti in plasticaNon sono mai riuscita ad usarli. Il filato non scorreva, e utilizzarli mi faceva venire male al polso. Da sciocca neofita quale ero, ho dato la colpa alla tecnica in sĂ© e mi sono presa una pausa, anche se mi piaceva. Troppo dolorosa. Da sottolineare che questi uncinetti erano gli unici che ero riuscita a trovare localmente: dove vivo, la maggior parte dei negozi non trattano uncinetti tunisini, oppure hanno solo questi. Ho pensato che, siccome volevo solo provare una nuova tecnica, non valeva la pena comprare gli uncinetti online. Ovviamente, mi sbagliavo.
Per fortuna qualche mese dopo, arrabbiata e delusa dai miei pessimi uncinetti, mi sono decisa ad acquistarne altri online. Dato che per l'uncinetto prediligo il bambĂą, ho comprato un set economico di uncinetti di bambĂą con cavo. Bene, lasciate che ve lo dica: avevano delle punte molto meglio definite, piĂą appuntite, e anche se le gole degli uncini non erano molto profonde usarli è stata una gioia. Il filato scorreva alla perfezione, e così sono finalmente riuscita a realizzare il mio primissimo progetto, Drachenschwanz di Veronika Hug (classico progetto da principianti, lo adoro). Il cavo è fissato agli uncinetti con della colla, quindi smontarli non è semplice, ma da principiante ho amato talmente tanto questi uncinetti che davvero non mi interessava. Li uso ancora, di tanto in tanto, e anche se (ovviamente!) non sono strumenti professionali, per me vanno alla grande.
Morale della favola, se non sapete se vi piacerĂ  l'uncinetto tunisino e quindi non volete investire in un set caro, vi suggerisco di acquistarne uno di questi online. Tra i vantaggi, avrete un sacco di misure, sono uncinetti validi e funzionali, hanno il cavo, quindi permettono di cimentarsi in progetti grandi, e davvero, sono super economici. Tra gli svantaggi... beh, non mi vengono in mente svantaggi, ad essere sincera.
Nel prossimo post vi parlerò di uncinetti più cari e vi racconterò le mie opinioni anche su di loro.

Comments

  1. Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nver try tunisian crochet...
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finished! / Finito!

Hello ladies! How was your weekend? Hope it all goes well! I'm here to show my finally finished baby cardigan, remember ? I've already told you about the wool I used in my latest post, so I won't bore you any longer - just a quick note: if you happen to find it and you've got some knitting baby project in mind definitely try it out! It's thin but grows quickly, it's incredibly soft and it took me less than 100 g on 3.5 mm needles to finish this cardigan, which should fit a 6 months old. Ciao a tutte! Com'è andato il fine settimana? Spero tutto bene! Sono qui per mostrarvi il golfino di cui vi avevo parlato, vi ricordate ? Vi ho già parlato nello scorso post della lana che ho usato, quindi non vi annoierò oltre - solo un appunto veloce: se vi capita di trovarla e avete in mente di sferruzzare qualcosa per un bimbo provatela! E' sottile ma cresce in fretta, è incredibilmente morbida, e mi sono bastati meno di 100 g (su ferri da 3.5 mm) per que

Bye, Blogger

I'll write on my  WordPress blog only, from now on, so if you want to follow me you'll find me there. I won't delete this blog, as I'm attached to it and it reminds me of the road I travelled so far, but at least for now I won't update it anymore.

December / Dicembre

Just a quick post to wish you all a merry month of December, full of coziness and warm thoughts while waiting for Yule (or Xmas, or however you like to call this happy holiday! : )). As some of you may have noticed there have been changes in my blog, first of all my name: yes, I'm called Valentina. Melatia was just a username I chose for the web, but in the end I grew tired of it and decided to use my real name. So, not much of a change, is it? Another thing, from now on I'll write in English first and then in Italian. Might sound strange, but when I first learnt English I felt such a love for the language, as if I had found something I lost once again... my love hasn't diminished through the years, and I know I'm not perfect writing and speaking it, but words flow much more easily in English, I have much more fun when I use it, so... tough decision? Not really, and I'm happy with it! : ) Talking 'bout creative stuff, I'm... busy, to say the least.